I love finding a TV series that makes you want to watch it every spare minute of the day. You may not agree with my list but I thought I’d give you an idea of some of my top TV series so far.
In no particular order. Starting with…
1. THE BIG BANG THEORY
This was the first box set I ever bought. In my first year at uni, I had a TV but didn’t have a TV licence so I just worked my way through my whole DVD collection. In the end, I just wanted something on in the background while trying to work, or something to gradually fall asleep too. This is where this TV series came in handy! I liked the show and had seen quite a few episodes but I didn’t know much about it, so I kind of bought it on a whim. It is now one of my FAVOURITE TV programmes and I can quote almost every episode (how sad I know :/).
Here are some of my favourite moments:
- Sheldon Cooper Presents Fun With Flags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ArU3ILMXxc
- Howard Wolowitz’s impressions of Nicolas Cage, Al Pacino and others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhMZhuCNS3U
- Big Bang Theory S5: Amy and her Tiara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv4LBuJTyJ4
- The Big Bang Theory “Sheldon playing the bongos”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akK4mzEZVRU
2. Modern Family
The main reason I love this programme is because I love it when the characters slyly look at the camera in awkward/funny moments, just like Miranda does or similar to The Office. My favourite character is Phil, maybe because he is the character who looks at the camera the most (also because of his Phil’s-osophy’s).
- Phil Dunphy’s Funniest Moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlyHTgW3Jcw
3. The Office US
I think everyone knows about The Office. I like The Office UK but love the US version even more because of Steve Carell. Take a look at the best bits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OYtjXVilsA
4. Mad Men
I love the 1950’s and 1960’s. I’m fascinated by the era; the fashion and the politics (especially gender politics). It may start of slow at the beginning but the storylines get better and better. Also, it made me have a HUUUGE crush on Jon Hamm who plays Don Draper. I have only got up to Season 6 so far.
- Season 1 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NChV93LBw
- Season 5 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vesjh3LXSKM
5. Peaky Blinders
I didn’t think I would like this, at first, I thought it would be too “violent”. Even though it is hardly violent compared to other TV programmes, I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to fighting scenes. But surprisingly I love the action in it. Nothing glamorous like Mad Men, but it has great tense moments and has a great cast!
- Peaky Blinders: Series launch trailer – BBC Two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM12mcTEI88
6. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
This is one of the most recent shows I have started watching. It is HILARIOUS. Well, Andy Sandberg is hilarious, but all the other characters have their quirks too. It is about a police precinct in Brooklyn. Take a look…
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdlSE9ISRBE
7. The Goldbergs
I watched adverts of this programme on E4 and thought this is just another cheesy American show like Melissa & Joey. Don’t get me wrong, I kind of like M&J and watch it from time to time; however, The Goldbergs is so much better! A very clever sit-com about a family in the 80’s. The creator of this show has based the characters on his family members and some of the storylines are what actually happened in his family. The best bit is at the end of the programme when they show you the REAL footage of Adam F. Goldberg filming his family. It is very clever how they act out some of the real footage from Adam’s family videos.
- The Goldbergs (ABC) Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n43fM2wdu5
Also, this show gives you an insight into the top trends of the eighties e.g. making reference to Stars Wars, E.T, Boy George, etc.
The best character, in my opinion, is the mum, Beverly Goldberg, played by Wendi McLendon-Covey. You might recognise her from Bridesmaids.
- One of Beverly’s Best Moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1KirmlbUhA
- Boy Barry (George): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9jjqCaNr-g
8. Dare Devil
Now this was violent (for me), but again the storyline was so gripping I had to just power through the horrible, sometimes gory fight scenes (and by power through I mean, put it on mute or hide behind a pillow). Even though I’m not a massive superhero fan, I really like DareDevil. He is blind and just has the power to kick ass! So no supernatural skills, just amazing senses. I am really looking forward to the next series on Netflix (March 18th).
- Marvel’s Daredevil – Official Trailer – Netflix [HD]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAy6NJ_D5vU
- Season 2 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ZGgFuyv8U
9. Orange is the new Black
I watched the first two series 24/7 but after the long wait for the next series I lost a bit of interest. I forgot the story lines. However I will get back into watching it once I’ve finished some of the other TV series on this list (there are just too many!).
- Orange Is the New Black – Series Trailer [HD]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLyUlTu4KbI
10. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
I cannot wait for the next season to start (April 15th). I love every character in this programme. Kimmy Schmidt is a girl who was kept in a bunker for ten years by a cult leader, who convinced four girls that there was an apocalypse. She has just been let out of the bunker and sets up home in New York City, learning about all the things she has missed over the past ten years.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNKEKlXY3Z4
- Best Bits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMRbK3C_0eE
- And THE BEST SONG from the show: YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yttOfIvOw
Now don’t worry, I have forgotten about period drama TV series! I am a MA-HOO-SIVE fan of Poldark, Downton, Mr Selfridge, etc, etc, but this list would be VERY long if I added them all to this post. That will have to be another blog post!
Hope this have given you some ideas of what TV series to watch.
What are your favourite TV series?